Thursday, August 4, 2011

Real Life

Moving, home ownership, changing job roles with a lot more responsibility, travel for said job...my life has changed drastically since last summer when I was coasting by. I can't imagine training for a marathon this summer like I did last summer (partially because of the 20 day, yes I said 20 day, excessive heat warning).  I'm contemplating a half marathon in November but still haven't convinced myself that sending in my entrance fee wouldn't be a waste of money. Luckily, I have until October to decide.

Real life is messy, busy, chaotic even. So, to that end, I've been working on what a healthiness lifestyle looks like in my current version of "real life." For me, that means fresh fruit and vegetables, light healthy lunches, lots of water, and working out about 5-6 days a week. A couple of those days are yoga/strength workouts mixed in with a bike ride or two. I've been running 3-4 days a week, usually during the weekdays before I leave for the office. How far have I been running? I have time for about 3 or 4 miles without making myself late. It was hard for me to admit to people at first. I read a ton of running blogs, and so many of them are gearing up for distance races: Hood to Coast, IronMan, various marathons. People would ask, "What are you training for?" Nothing. "How far are you running these days?" Not very. These kind of runs don't make for very interesting blogs...

But, I'm slowly becoming okay with my frequently short runs. Distance running isn't the only way to run. My current plan works for my life right now. I'm still running regularly (and in this heat that in itself feels like a victory). As life twists and changes, so will my running. All I know is I'll still be out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment