Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 By the Numbers

I'm a data geek as you might already know. So, on the last day of the year, I sat down to figure out what the numbers say about how much work I put in this year:
  • I worked out 228 of 365 days, which means I worked out about 62% of the time. 
  • I worked out an average of 19 days a month.
  • I covered 968.42 miles (at least those recorded by Garmin) in 2010.
  • 838.68 of those miles were running!
The days worked out was a little lower than 2009...I worked out 10 more times then than I did this year. I'm chalking part of that up to the taper and recovery period after the marathon (and just a touch of laziness as winter hit).
I also took a look at the goals I set last year to see which ones I actually achieved:

  1. Join a volleyball league (already started on this one: first game is 1/4!) Check, although I eventually decided the league wasn't my cup of tea and only played one season.
  2. Run a half marathon Check!
  3. Run a full marathon Check!
  4. Drink at least 64 oz of water a day (and no coffee until I have had at least 16 oz of H2O) Mostly failure. I didn't drink nearly as much water as I should have and definitely got the coffee in no mater what!
  5. Get back in the habit of making a healthy lunch at home instead of going out I did pretty well on this. The best months for this are in the fall/winter when I can make a giant batch of soup that lasts all week.
  6. Eat MORE veggies at every meal (I struggle with this in the winter...) I did great on this. Again, as the fresh summer vegetables give way to the puny looking ones shipped in from whoknowswhere, I struggle.
  7. Reach my goal weight (11.4 lbs to go as of yesterday) Not so much. My weight is pretty much exactly the same as last year. Marathon training didn't make for great weight loss. I made the choice to feed my body what it needed rather than deprive to get the last few pounds off. Now that I'm training again, I'm working to keep my calories in check and eat healthy calories.
  8. Maintain my goal weight when I get there (that's a whole other journey) While I'm not at my goal, I've definitely maintained give a pound or two fluctuation throughout the year. And, because I've really upped my strength training, I feel stronger and more toned than ever.
  9. Get professionally fitted for running shoes Check, best decision ever made!
  10. Support B. on his own journey to health Working on being a support and not a nag. Everyone has their own journey and their own story of how they got there...and it usually doesn't start with, "My girlfriend forced me to go to the gym..."
I haven't quite figured out what my goals are this coming year. I know I have a marathon lined up in April and possibly in October. I'll let you know what my running and health related goals are as soon as I get them narrowed down. 

Happy and Healthy New Year, Everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment