Sunday, March 28, 2010

One Year

Yesterday was one year since I first started recording my weight weekly in an attempt to lose 50 pounds. I'll be honest, when I realized that 12 months ago I started on what I thought was a 6 month plan and I still haven't completely achieved my goal, I was a little disappointed in myself. Lots of other health and fitness bloggers I've read have done so much more in a year: 60, 80, 100 even. Why haven't I?

I could list a hundred excuses, but really it comes down to focus. When I'm super strict with my diet and exercise 6 days a week, the pounds come off. But, I have a full-time job, and a relationship, and friends, and hobbies...So, some weeks, I just couldn't give 100% to this goal while giving my best in those other very important areas. I also couldn't deprive myself all the time. I heart ice cream. I eat far less of it than I did a year ago, but I still don't want to live life without any ever. The same could be said of a burger or a glass or two of wine. I could complain about not having reached my goal yet, but it was the product of my choice to lose weight "my way." The weight loss has been slow, but I've found a healthy life that I can live with long term and doesn't make me miserable.

But, that's not to say the numbers aren't going in a positive direction. Number on the scale yesterday? 159! Super excited about that. A mere 9 pounds to goal and then maintenance phase begins. And, I'm good at maintenance...There were lots of weeks when workouts or food were so-so, but my weight stayed about the same, give or take a couple of ounces. It's good to know that when I get to my goal, simply being mindful of what I put in my mouth, how much and how often will be enough to make sure I never ever have to do this again!

**PS: I've been working on a post about the fabulousness of the foam roller, but I haven't gotten around to taking any demonstration pictures. In the meantime, just let me say, my legs feel like new!**

No comments:

Post a Comment