Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I Think They Call This Cross-Training

If I could run every day, I absolutely would. But, I know my body, especially my battered knees and hips, and know that every other day is the best for me. That leaves the other days for cross-training. Generally, I do weight/cardio circuits or ashtanga yoga and call it cross-training.

One of my getting fit goals, though, has been to find a volleyball league when I was thin/in-shape enough. However, all the ads I saw for leagues at the YMCA or parks & rec places required an entire team to sign up. No one I know (who lives nearby) is very interested in volleyball. So, a while back, I decided to check the Craig's List activity section to see if anyone was advertising for an extra player for their ready-made team.


Long story short, I finally found one that sounded like a winner, and this past Monday, I went to an unofficial practice. I have not touched a volleyball in about 5 years. Let me tell you, I was nervous. Not only about meeting a bunch of new people but about not looking like a complete moron in front of said new people. I was rusty to say the least, but over the course of the evening, while we played 3 on 3, I managed a few good passes, sets, and even a hit and serve or two. Beneath the rust, I think there may be an inkling of skill left, and I can't wait for my next opportunity to play.

By the time I got home from practice, I knew I was going to be sore...My left knee was in need of ice after a poorly performed dive. I wasn't ready for what awaited me when I woke up the next morning. My back was SO sore. Not my shoulders/shoulder blade area. Not my lower back, even. But, in two vertical strips in the middle of my back on either side of my spine. The area of pull when you serve or hit. The area that apparently none of my weight lifting or other cardio activities even touches. Crazy!

I'm all better this morning, though. I'm definitely going to start thinking about other activities I can try to keep my body on its proverbial toes. What ways do you cross-train that surprises your body?

2 comments:

  1. How fun!

    I keep telling myself to join a tennis league. I love running,but tennis will always be my first love. :) For a long time I used the excuse of being overweight and out of shape for not joining one. I don't have an excuse any longer. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally do it! The muscle memory comes back (slowly in my case). You'll feel like a bad ass in no time!

    ReplyDelete