Monday, November 1, 2010

Finding Balance

I haven't officially worked out in 4 days. 4 days! In the months leading up to the marathon, that was unheard of. But, Thursday I had the opportunity to be part of a panel on women, blogging, and happiness at a local university. It was right after work, and when I got home, B. and I decided to go out to dinner. So no workout. Friday is my traditional "rest day," so, of course, no workout. Saturday I slept late but woke up with every intention of going for a run. Then, over breakfast, B. and I concocted a plan to go to the Apple Butter Festival in Kimswick, MO. By the time we got home, I needed to get started on a freelancing project with a fast approaching deadline. Yep, you guessed it, no workout (unless you want to count strolling around the festival--which I don't). And, then Sunday...I slept late again and woke up feeling crappy. I finished the freelance project and then fell into my bed to watch some Tivo from last week. Then, some festive baking (rice krispy treats, pumpkin bread, and mulled wine, anyone?). But zero working out.

 And, guess what? I don't care. That's right, you heard me. I won't pretend I didn't feel a little guilty on Saturday and Sunday or secretly worry that I was sliding down some slippery slope into lethargy. I did. Then I go thinking...I'm healthy (per my 6 mo check up last week), I'm fit (I just ran a freakin' marathon), and those things won't be undone by a 4-day break. In fact, after work tonight, I'll be out pounding the pavement, trying to beat sundown. Sometimes an extended rest is healthy. There were so many times that I drug myself out to work out this summer when I didn't feel well. While that work ethic was a good thing, it's also healthy to take a little time for yourself. There have been many, many Saturdays the past few months when I was completely consumed with the long run and then my other responsibilities. It was SO nice to not worry about eating spicy food on Friday night, sleep late on Saturday, and then spend time with B. and do some activities that don't center around sweating.

So, in many ways, I'm practicing finding my way back to the center of things again: Cutting back on the calories (hey, if you aren't going to run 35 miles a week, you also don't get to feed your face like you are), remembering what it feels like to get a "regular" amount of exercise, figuring out how to fit in adequate exercise and the activities that make the weekend fun. When not in training for an official race, I have to remember that this is my life--I eat well (and by "well" I mean a combination of mostly healthy choices and the occasional indulgence), I move most days, and sometimes, I need to kick back with a glass of wine and catch up on Project Runway!

How do you define balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment