Wednesday, June 30, 2010

And We Have a Winner


My quest for the perfect pair of running shorts has come to a close. I finally found a pair that weren't too long, or too short, or too likely to ride up. As Goldilocks would say, "They're just right!"

After the raw-thigh disaster that was the Nike Tempo shorts, I tried a couple of different pairs of spandex. I had a pair of off-brand cotton-y spandex that I used for volleyball...I should have known anything cotton is a bad idea. Then I tried a pair of Under Armour spandex (I think they had a 5 inch inseam). They did okay but didn't have enough staying power to keep from working their way shorter as I ran. Doable, but there had to be something better out there.
When I found a good deal on Amazon for a pair of CW-X Pro Fit shorts, I knew I had to try them. I've spoken at length of my love for their 3/4 length stability tights. And, after this morning's run, I can safely add the shorts to my love list.

They have the same great core support as the tights, and the webbing on the sides provides nice pressure on my hip joints. The product specs said they have a 6 inch inseam, but looking at the actual product and trying it on, I'd say it's 3 inches at most, which is fine b/c I'm not a huge fan of long shorts. However, if you have any shame left (mine has left me), you might want to go for the allegedly 10 inch ones.

The best part? I was on a sweaty 6 miler, and those suckers didn't budge once. Now, I know what you're thinking..."Yes, but did your legs look like sausages b/c the leg openings were so tight?" Not at all. In fact, when I first put them on, I was concerned that the snug but un-sausage-like fit meant they were going to be all over the place. No problems at all during the run. The band at the leg openings is thin and sleek but stayed put. Unlike my bike shorts, which in addition to making me look like I'm wearing an adult undergarment, have thick bands that are possibly the most unflattering thing in the world. I will say that later when I was sitting on the floor stretching out, the elastic on the leg openings did flip up then. But, I can deal with that. If I wouldn't feel guilty about overspending on my hobbies, I'd buy three more pairs.

With July and August and ever increasing long runs approaching, I'm excited to be able to do it and stay cool at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment