Monday, May 17, 2010

Just a Little Something

It's been raining for like a week straight...maybe more. I need a little sunshine!

Since I've gotten in good shape, I haven't ever run just one mile. I always run at minimum three. So I have no idea how fast I am. Of course, I could estimate from my splits on longer runs (usually around 9:30-10:00), but I have this fantasy that if I had only one single mile to run that I could really blow it out the water...relatively speaking. I dream of a sub 8 minute mile. To that end, I think I'm going to sign up for Big River Running's Macklind Mile on July 4th. It'll take mere minutes of my holiday (the dollar amount it will cost to sign up is actually higher than the amount of time it should take to finish...) and I need some races to be excited about between now and October.

I'd like to blog a little more and further procrastinate on doing an exercise dvd...I'd like to complain about how difficult it's been for me to workout and eat right lately and make a hundred excuses as to why. But I'm not. I'm going to get up and make at least one good choice today. Here's to good choice #1--may there be more to follow.

How fast can you run 1 mile?
Any of my StL peeps want to join me for 1 quick mile on 7/4?

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fun race. I just read of someone doing a 1 mile recently and it sounds really fun.

    Sometimes for training I do 1 mile repeats. 1 mile as fast as I can, then recover as needed (3-4 minutes). I used to do this on a track which was great. Run 1 mile (4 laps), then walk 2 laps.

    It's a great way to work on speed. Also you can try to beat or match your time from the first lap.

    I haven't done this since the fall and I was just under 8 minutes. But I think I'm faster now. Need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete